Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Little Woman Who Could

A little woman is sitting on a bench on a cold snowy winter day waiting for the bus. All of a sudden she notice a car trying to move from its parked area on the side of the street, but it was stuck in the snow because as the driver would hit the gas pedal, the wheels on the car would just be turning and not moving the car. The little woman sat and watched as the driver would try to drive over the snow that was causing the issue, hoping the car would make it out. The driver then got out of the car, and tried to push it out of the area it was stuck in. It was a man and he tried to push the car by himself but he could not move it, so he asked a man that was standing near by to help him push it. The man said "I'm sorry but I sprain my wrist so I cant help you push your car". The man then asked a woman he saw crossing the street to help him push his car out. The woman said " I'm sorry but I am anemic and I have not ate any food all day, I have to get something to eat or I will pass out". The man then looked around and saw the little woman sitting on the bench, he walked over and asked her if she could help him push his car out. The little woman said " I think I can". The man got in his car and hit the gas pedal as he instructed the little woman to push the car as hard as she could. As he hit the gas pedal, the little woman pushed as hard as she could while saying to herself " I think I can, I think I can, I think I can". All of a sudden the car was able to roll over the area it was stuck in. The man then got of his car to thank the little woman with a hug. The little woman reached in her pocket to pull out her inhaler, she had asthma. The man said " If I knew you had asthma, I would have not let you push my car. How come you did not tell me?" The little woman said " I may be sick, but if I think I can do something, then I should at least try". The man smiled and thank the little woman again as she walked away saying to herself " I knew I could, I knew I could, I knew I could".

Does this story sound a little familiar? It's just my version of "The Little Engine That Could". A popular children story that represents one overcoming what may seem like an impossible task. In my version, the little engine is the little woman, who has a medical condition. But notice the man and woman who were also asked to help had medical conditions also, but they did not believe they could do it. The little woman had something the man and woman did not have, she had belief and determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment