Monday, February 11, 2013

I Know Who I Am

As many of you who may not know....I am in a wheelchair. Yes, I can not walk, and may never walk again for the rest of my life. And that common question I get, Where you in an accident? Well....No I was not. I was born with a very rare genetic disorder called Pompe disease. And because I look different, I believe that is why people consider me different. However, that is not why I consider myself different. I consider myself different based on many factors, and being disabled just happens to be one of those factors. What I really love about myself is how I am able to look at things in a different way. I know this may sound a little weird, and you might not understand why I would think this, but I actually thank God for giving me this disability. The reason why is because it really is a blessing in disguise. Not to say that my life is all peaches and cream because lets be honest, I struggle everyday, and my worst days are yet to come. But hear me out....It wasnt untill my early teens when my health started to fade. You see I know exactly the kind of person I am, or shall I say would of been, if I didnt go through what I went through. I would of been one of those girls that grows up too fast, partying, drinking, drugs, sex, causing trouble. How do I know? Because these are the things I wanted to do. But I ended up watching my friends do it instead, and me....I ended up staying at home studying and dealing with my health. But you want to know the outcome of all this?
Well my friends ended up with bad grades, drama, and babies. And me, I ended up a college student and a strong little woman. But the best part, I learned so much about myself and what I want out of life, while my friends are still trying to find out who they are and what they want. I know who am, a strong woman that has a battle to fight everyday, and plan to keep fighting. I know what I want, to inspire, help people, bring happiness, laughter, change lives, by all means MAKE A DIFFERENCE....

No comments:

Post a Comment